Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Born in 1920's

This past Monday was my uncle’s dad’s 90th birthday. I am pretty sure ninety is a big milestone in any culture, but in Asian more specifically Chinese culture we celebrate through a gathering of people and dinner (maybe a little show on the side). Dinner was set at a private room in a Cantonese restaurant on Gravey and Atlantic. There was a collection of people from family members to close friends. Although I am related via marriage through my aunt, we are very close to my uncle’s side of the family and they got a BIG family. I mean on my mom side there are six aunts and one uncle but my uncle is one of eleven and one of the eleven has seven kids. When we were kids I always felt bad for my cousin, Johanna because she had to memorize hundreds of names and faces at every family event but she likes the attention so it turned out well for her.

Being at the event I got reminded a bit of my childhood and made me realize just how old I have become now. In Asian cultured your always taught to give the up most respect to your elders so we always celebrated Johanna’s grandparents birthday and there’s always get together on the holidays like Christmas and thanksgiving. More importantly as a kid I was living with Johanna’s family and frequented these festivities, but once I went to college and moved back living with my mom I totally forgot about these Wei clan events.


So Monday gave me a jolt back to my childhood and watching the little grandkids now reminds me when I was in their shoes. Time fly’s and part of me wonders when I get older will my life be like this? Will I be too Americanized to have long life peaches? What will my family be like? These can only be answered through time. Everyone seemed so happy, and its rare AND difficult to get everyone together at one place. I don’t know why I am blogging about this, but as much as we fight with our family members at the end of the day, bloods thicker than water and family’s all we got.

No comments:

Post a Comment