Friday, May 15, 2009

Local food

This week for ESF we had to document cooking a meal using local foods. I wanted to do something simple because I get out of work at 5pm. After a little research I found this page http://www.localfoodswheel.com/local_foods.html it lists all the local foods and what is seasonal.  I some how decided on salmon, penne with arugula, chives and pine nuts. It tasted nothing like I thought I would, not in a good way.  Maybe it was the busy week but some how I forgot to double check where my ingredients are from, I naturally assumed Trader Joe’s is local, but I realized it wasn’t when Chris pointed it out. Growing up in the city of Arcadia, which is right next to Monrovia, I have always considered food from Trader Joe’s to be local.  So essential I cooked a seasonal dish that’s California grown.        

         1 pound skinless salmon fillet

         8 ounces penne

         1/4 cup pine nuts

         2 tablespoons olive oil

         1 tablespoon lemon juice

         kosher salt

         3 cups arugula

         1/4 cup chopped fresh chives

 

         1
Baked the salmon on 375 for about 25 mins



2.
While cooking the pasta, in a large skillet, toast the pine nuts over low heat until golden, 3 minutes; transfer to a bowl. 

3.
Heat the oil in the skillet over medium heat. Add the penne, salmon, lemon juice, and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and cook until heated through, 2 minutes. Stir in the arugula and chives.


















 

Everyone’s dishes looked amazing. It was great getting to know all of you. Have a great summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment